"There are two great moments in a persons life: the moment you were born and the moment you realize why you were born."

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Photo Diary




Ok so…I am sort of lame on writing blogs right now, sorry everyone. But I had a super cool idea… One of the most frequently asked question is “Alyssa, what do you do? What is your typical day look like?” Well I thought it would be super cool if you got to see what I did instead of just reading about it…so here we go :)


So I wake up between 5:30 and 6:00 am (I’m super confused about why we wake up at different times so I just wake up when my sister Martha wakes up because we share a bed) Then I sweep the courtyard while God paints me a beautiful masterpiece every morning *my sunrise* (Tyler…stop laughing at me it’s true).


[after sweeping is when my days differ…here is a typical laid back day]


After sweeping I take my bucket bath and eat breakfast. I usually help the family with the chores such as laundry, cooking, cleaning and such. I also tutor 2 guys in English who can’t go to school because of the crisis or I go to work at the church. *picture of Teguere church* This is where i do the churches finances and where i do secretarial work Monday-Thursday.


Later in the afternoon I get to hang out with my host family and eat lunch and take a short pause. Usually I do my “homework” or journaling that is a requirement for Journey Corps. *picture of family [from left to right:big sister Martha, Host Papa Chorl, little brother Azariah, little brother Coronah, me, little brother Binjamin, little sister Ferrehala, little sister Yelli, host mom was taking the picture* After my short pause I either go back to work at the church or dispensary or I help cook.

Whenever I get back home I usually take my bucket bath and eat dinner with my family. Because it is so hot and I don’t have electricity so we sleep outside for a little while and then go to bed.


These are all of the journeyers and the staff of Journey Corps, I thought you may want to see who it is I live with in Africa :) *picture of journeyers from left to right: Katrina, Peter, Jamie, Heidi, Bakary, Angelika, Rod, Stephanie, Naomi, Me, Holly, Jason, Chazz, CJ, Beckie and Devin *


Prayer Requests:

Political situation-things are still heating up.

Pray that God’s peace and comfort would reign

Different work and ministry opportunities Host family and Family in the states

Sicknesses and healing (Heidi just had surgery on her appendix pray for healing, my little brother has malaria, older sister is sick, I had Ameebas last week…and so much more)

That God would continue to be my only vision


Scripture of the Week:

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:

2 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,

5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,

6 a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away,

7 a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak,

8 a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.

9 What do workers gain from their toil? 10 I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet[a] no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end


Well I hope you guys enjoyed the photos and the short video. Let me know what you think and let me know how your life is going. Love you tons and until next time :)


Take Care!

No comments:

Post a Comment